Broadcast Network Engineer
London and sporting events around the world
Full time. Flexible shifts may incl. nights & weekends
Essential Skills & Experience
Network Engineering, Broadcasting, Troubleshooting, Problem-Solving, Good Communication & Interpersonal Skills, Analytical, Organised, Calm under pressure
Recommend this job to a Friend
Cingularity is seeking operational network engineers from either telecommunication or broadcast backgrounds to join our team and pave the way during our development and expansion over the coming years. The roles at Cingularity are broad, enabling the successful candidate to develop further and leave your mark.
As a Broadcast Network Engineer, you’ll join the team responsible for monitoring, supporting, maintaining, and implementing customer solutions for live sports broadcasts.
Day-to-day, you’ll proactively monitor Cingularity’s network and services utilising various systems and confidence video monitoring. You will ensure that content is delivered efficiently without interruption until the end of the transmission. You’ll also engage directly with our customers, partners, and suppliers regularly.
The role is fast paced, and you will need to develop appropriate solutions to incidents and issues operationally utilising your engineering skillset. Furthermore, you will undertake engineering design and development of systems and services in line with company requirements.
You will be exposed to a vast array of top vendors including NetInsight, Fortinet, Arista, AppearTV, Media Kind, Tag Systems, Nevion, Google Cloud Platform and many more Open-Source technologies.
As a Cingularity engineer, you would usually work shifts, including evenings, nights, and weekends. You must be prepared to be flexible at times to meet the needs of the broadcast of live sporting events.
Master Control Room
- To proactively monitor the Cingularity Network, associated systems, and video services.
- To route, check-in, monitor and check-out live transmissions to ensure a faultless high-quality service.
- To provide direct support to customers, working with both partners and suppliers as required via phone and email for service issues, bookings, and other enquiries.
- Deal with network and service issues from initial investigation to final resolution – providing a 3rd line level of support to isolate the cause and minimise any impact, across the full spectrum of the OSI Model.
- To ensure that all events are logged, analysed and acted upon as required promptly.
- To review, process, and monitor planned work activities.
Solution and Service Delivery
- Implement bespoke customer solutions from sale to service delivery – promptly and within budget – working alongside project management.
- Device configuration and testing
- Network and service documentation
- Installation and commissioning
- Assisting with service bookings including provisioning of occasional use services
Network and System Development
- Core network development, maintenance and upgrading of both the Cingularity DTM and Cingularity IP Networks.
- Video system development, maintenance and upgrading for both baseband and IP systems including encoders, decoders, and routing.
- Perform equipment and systems evaluations, from initial selection, through to implementation, including network appliances, video encoders, opensource systems and new technologies.
On-Site Events Engineer
- Attend events when required to backfill and support team members.
- Set-up onsite equipment, including configuration and service turn-ups.
- Monitor the event through-out with other team members.
- Troubleshoot both video and network issues.
Technical Knowledge and Experience
- TCP/IP Stack including switching, routing, and multicast.
- Network device CLI’s with the ability to pick up new vendors syntaxes with ease
- Fibre optical technologies with the experience of deployments and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of NetInsight portfolio, including experience on the MSR platform, is extremely advantageous
- Familiarity in maintaining and operating transmission equipment, including encoders, decoders, and video routers, is advantageous.
- Understanding of broadcast environments and workflows advantageous.
- Experience of video and audio encoding technologies and parameters, advantageous.
- Automation utilising an array of techniques, including scripting.
- Proficient in Windows and Linux Systems.
- Experienced on Office 365 or G-Suite, with excellent working knowledge of Excel or Google Sheets
- Ideally educated to a degree level or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years working as a Network Engineer or Broadcast Engineer with excellent network knowledge.
- Full Driving Licence
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven record of providing exceptional customer experience.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to remain focused under pressure.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to effectively prioritise tasks in a fast-paced environment with excellent time management.
- The ability follow and develop operational processes to a high standard.
- Drive to build their knowledge and skills on existing and emerging technologies by identifying training and work opportunities.
- The desire to participate in knowledge transfer, training, and documentation.
- Self-motivated and organised individual up for the challenge of a start-up
Full-time shift work, including evenings, nights, and weekends.
- Twenty-five days holiday allowance
- Fully Loaded Health Insurance Policy including
- Med24 service – 24/7 employees access to a GP, 24/7, 365 days a year
- Stronger Minds for Mental Health
- Dental & Optical cashback – annual eye test £25, optical prescriptions 80% co-insurance up to £200 and Dental care 80% co-insurance up to £400
- Redundancy cover benefits
- Worldwide Travel Insurance for Business and Leisure, Contribution Pension Scheme, Season Ticket Loan
- Competitive salary based on experience.
Cingularity exists in a highly specialised segment of the telecoms industry, operating a global fibre network providing live broadcast TV transmission services. We thrive on being the David to the Goliaths of our industry, taking on the giant global telecoms companies who have dominated for too long.
Our obsession with quality, performance, and network resilience, has allowed us to deliver network and video services for the likes of Amazon Prime, IMG Media and ATP Media, where we are trusted to carry the live TV signals destined for their global TV audiences.
Contribution, primary distribution, remote production and data services are delivered over the Cingularity core network, incorporating nodes in the US, Europe, and Asia. Cingularity’s network facilitates the delivery of its video encoding platform for contribution and distribution utilising low-latency JPEG2000, AVC and HEVC codecs.
Our company ethos is to challenge everything – unrestricted and creative thinking is what wins us business against companies many times our size. By being creative, nimble and unhindered by bureaucracy, we’re able to create a customer experience which is far beyond market expectations. We believe the key to success is to create a culture where you have full autonomy to take decisions independently, using your own judgment.